Key points to help you understand CDM duties for Designers are:
- Client awareness – do not commence work in relation to a project unless satisfied that the client is aware of duties;
- Elimination of risk – take account of the general principals of prevention and PCI when preparing or modifying a design to eliminate foreseeable risks;
- Risk reduction and control – if not possible to eliminate take steps to reduce and control risks through the subsequent design process;
- Residual risk – provide information about those risks to the PD and ensure information is included in the health and safety file; and
- Provide information – with the design about aspects of the design of the structure or its construction or maintenance to adequately assist others to comply.