South Devon engineer sentenced for unregistered gas work
An unregistered plumber has been sentenced after conducting gas work and leaving it in a dangerous state.
Torquay Magistrates heard how Stephen Barton undertook the installation of a gas cooker and gas boiler at two separate properties in Dawlish and Exeter during January and May 2016. Gas Safe Register who inspected his work at the homes classed it as dangerous.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Stephen Barton wasn’t Gas Safe Registered at the time he conducted this work.
Stephen Barton of Park Road, Dawlish pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 3(3) of the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations 1998 and breaching Section 3(2) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. He has been sentenced to undertake 300 hours of unpaid community work and to pay £3,600 in costs.
Speaking after the hearing HSE inspector Simon Jones said:
“Stephen Barton undertook gas work which he knew he was not registered to do.
“All gas work must be done by registered Gas Safe engineers to ensure the highest standards are met to prevent injury and loss of life.”